Monday, March 18, 2013

The Glass Laura


                The Glass Menagerie was a pretty good short story.  I liked it because I could relate to Tom in the way that everyone expects him to do what they want him to do and don’t care about what he wants for himself.  Although it is expected of him to stay at home and help pay the bills, he feels that he needs to escape the house as much as possible (going to the movies).  I think that the mother needs to accept the fact that he is grown and can make his own decisions, and maybe she needs to get a job and pay the bills herself instead of expecting him to do it all.  I didn’t really like the mother, she nags too much.  And Laura needs to get over her self-esteem issues and go back to school so she herself can get a job and help pay the bills around the house instead of sitting at home all day and looking at her glass collection.  I know that’s easier said than done but she could at least give it a little effort instead of sitting there feeling sorry for herself.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your view of how Tom, Laura, and the mother are portrayed. A little blunt but I still agree with your overall summary that both Laura and her mother should try to help out with the bills and the mother is certainly way to nagging.

    ReplyDelete