Monday, March 18, 2013

Tonto is Cool


            The title of this short story has nothing to do with the book, but anyways.  I enjoyed reading The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven because I can relate to the main character.  I think everyone has been in a relationship that wasn’t good for them at one point.  He would get so angry with her that he would break lamps and have to go for walks to keep himself from going crazy.  I can relate to this because I also had a girlfriend who drove me absolutely crazy.  Once the main character left Seattle and got away from his girlfriend he was able to control his anger and stop drinking.  He also devoted his time into getting back in shape and getting a job.  Sometimes getting away from a toxic environment is the best thing that you can do for yourself.  If you feel yourself going in a downward spiral, then get out of the situation and focus on getting better.  This is an important life lesson that took me a while to realize.  Sometimes there is no other way to help yourself than to leave, which is what the main character did in order to get better.  At the end of the story the main character is talking to his girlfriend and deciding where they stand.  The last sentence says, “it doesn’t matter, I know how all my dreams end anyways.”  This sentence means that no matter how much he loves and wants to be with his ex girlfriend, he knows it will never work out.  No matter who you are, if you loved someone you will always have some feelings for them.  But sometimes it’s best to leave things where they are instead of trying to fix them, because most of the time it will only get worse.  I relate to this story because I also went through a lot of the things that the main character went through, and it made him a stronger person.  Oh and I’m part Indian, so there’s another relatable quality!

No comments:

Post a Comment