Monday, March 18, 2013

White Elephants?

This blog is about Hills Like White Elephants. I have absolutely no idea what’s going on in this story.  The author gives no detail to what they are actually talking about and it frustrates me!  I assume that the man is trying to convince the girl to get an abortion and she’s unsure if she wants to.  But when she’s knocking back drinks like no one’s business I change my mind.  I don’t see any other reasonable choice other than abortion though.  When the girl looks outside and says “all this could be ours if I do it” I assume she’s talking about the money they’ll save not having to raise a child.  I didn’t really like this story simply because it was hard to read and I had no idea what was going on.  If the author had given us more details as to what they were talking about maybe I would have actually enjoyed it instead of having to guess what the heck it’s about.  But I guess it makes for a good discussion topic because everyone can interpret it a different way.  Maybe that was the author’s intention all along?  Who knows, confused the crap out of me.

1 comment:

  1. I agree the story was certainly confusing. When I read it I honestly had no idea what the story was about I didn't even gather the idea of an abortion was what they were talking about until we discussed the story in class. So I certainly agree this story was very confusing!!!

    ReplyDelete